The title may seem obvious but I had no idea that it would be this difficult with so many subtleties in the language. The different sounds are difficult to describe, not quite changes in pitch, but still almost identically the same sound. To top it off, there are numerous ways to write the same sound depending where in the word it falls and different sounds for the same letter depending where in the word it falls. Like any language, I assume the learning curve has a double dip and is pretty steep at first, becomes easier for a while, then gears up when one tries to learn the nuances of the language.
Yesterday there were language classes for 4 hours in the morning with the same professors from Korea University, one of three top universities in Korea. The afternoon was a little more low key, filled with teacher workshops and handouts. Maybe I won't be as unprepared as I thought I would be.
After dinner we went to a bar, and experienced more of the gut wrenching soju and chige combination. My stomach is going to go through a learning curve of its own.