Monday, July 5, 2010

First 24 hours

I arrived at Incheon airport at around 4 AM Sunday morning (happy July 4th...) and the rest of the day was filled with exciting things like moving bags from location to location that happened to be 50 feet apart. Our orientation site is at Jungwon University, which is a really new, really modern, and really beautiful university that only has two class years so far. There's a kayak pool, an indoor pool, an outdoor pool, hot springs, golf course, sports center, gym, restaurant and numerous other amenities that aren't usually seen on college campuses. Of course I haven't seen the library yet but I'm sure one exists. Otherwise, it would be easy to mistake Jungwon U for a resort.
We're living in the dorms here and it's reminiscent of college. The rooms are rather nice (they're new after all) but are triples we're using as doubles so 3 would be tighter. One thing to note is that JWU has a pretty strict segregation policy based on gender, something Colgate absolutely did not have. In fact, there are different elevators for males and females. Overall, we haven't done much except take care of logistical tasks -- not particularly exciting, I know. I feel like I've been here for a while, even though it has only been 27 hours since I landed in Korea.
Thus far I've had little interaction with Koreans since we've been caught up settling in. We've also been speaking English everywhere we go, which interestingly enough has left me with an uncomfortable feeling because when I studied abroad in Spain, we had a Spanish only rule. Obviously I couldn't cope with a Korean only rule since I know a total of 50 words, but for whatever reason I've equated Korea with Spain and speaking English leaves me with an eerie feeling that I'm doing something wrong.
Again, I don't have anything particularly exciting to report, except that I'm in Korea. That's certainly something I didn't think I would ever say but look at me now. Day 2 of this adventure begins soon, starting with breakfast. I'm fairly certain that there will be kim chee.