Friday, July 2, 2010

Last 24 hours at home

Dearest reader,
If you're reading this, presumably you know me in some capacity or another. At least I hope so!
I'll fill in everyone a little bit so that no one is left in the cold but if you're taking the time to read this you probably know at least this much about me:
I am half Korean, half white (probably Polish) and on May 16, 2010, I graduated from Colgate University with a double major in International Relations and Spanish. I studied abroad in Madrid, Spain where I refined my Spanish, met some lifelong friends, and in totality had an amazing time. I stayed in a homestay there, which was great for my Spanish and general assimilation. This is all relevant, I promise.
In September I applied for a Fulbright grant to South Korea. Once I decided to apply for the grant, I chose South Korea because even though I'm half Korean, I know very little about this side of me. I don't speak Korean, and only know about the country through what I've read. I have visited Korea, but I was 3, 8 and 12 years old so it's hazy.
When I received the Fulbright in April, it was pretty much a done deal that I was going to accept. After all, it was only a year, I would never have the opportunity to do this again, and I was fairly certain that NYC would still be here when I returned.
Without burying you under too many details, fast forward to July 1, 2010, the night before I move to South Korea for a year (I return in July 2011).
I sit here, and I know that this is going to be an experience that I'll cherish and talk about for the rest of my life. However, the one word that describes how I'm feeling is "nervous". Simple and I think that's normal. I'm nervous about ending up in an area I like, a school that values me, and with a family that I can bond. All my life I've thought of things in 3-4 month periods: semesters. A year feels like an eternity which makes me even more jittery. 
I'll leave you with that and a promise that this blog will become more interesting. Otherwise I'm in a lot more trouble than you are.

Matt