Sunday, May 29, 2011

School Biking Trip

Yesterday I went on a biking trip out to the Daegu wetlands with 30 students and 3 other teachers. We started at 9 am, biked across the city, arriving at the wetlands around 11:00 AM. We ate some taste bud-tantalizing box lunches sitting under a bridge and continued on to bike through the wetlands. This was the first time I have ever biked through tall grass and over rocky terrain which was certainly a different type of experience.
Many of the students on the trip were low-level English speaking students. In class these are the students that don't want to be there and I have had trouble getting through to. However, since this outdoor activity was more up their alley, I found them much more willing to speak English with me to the best of their ability, albeit low.
I hope that this enthusiasm translates into the classroom. I only wish that this type of opportunity came in more abundance and was available to me earlier.