This past weekend I went to visit the Naju and Gwangju. Given how much I've traveled during my grant year, it's surprising that this was my first trip to the west side of the peninsula. Gwangju was just like most of the other large cities. It was spread out for the most part and there were a lot of name brand stores and restaurants.
Naju on the other hand, was a special place. Not quite as small as Goesan, where our orientation took place, but definitely not considered a city, Naju was quaint but depressing at the same time. (Sorry, Jim!)
My friends and I decided to pay Jim a visit since he's traveled to Daegu so many times for us. A few weeks back when we started to think about this trip, I looked up the sites to see in Naju in a guidebook. There was only one, the Naju Pear Museum. I didn't think you could make a whole museum dedicated to pears, but on Saturday afternoon there we were, standing in front of it. Once inside, the receptionist had to power up the place for us. I guess they don't get a lot of visitors.
 |
| Pears fermenting |
 |
| These pear mascots are everywhere in Naju, city of pears |
 |
| Not sure what I'm standing in front of here |
 |
| In front of an exhibit about a pear harvesting |