Saturday, September 18, 2010

Uncategorizable!

My Mom recently asked why I'm not smiling in the two pictures I posted of myself (see mandana and my new haircut). I tried to smile at first, but anyone wear a mandana and grinning from ear to ear looks a little ridiculous. If you don't believe me, look below. :)

Since getting my haircut, I apparently no longer look like Wayne Rooney, but rather Chun Jung-myung. I had no idea who he was so I looked it up. Again, I don't know if I agree but at least I don't think it's an insult! I couldn't even find a picture of him with a buzz cut so I really don't understand how my haircut transformed me from a British soccer player into a Korean drama star.

Chun Jung-myung

Yesterday was the first of these Korean language classes that I signed up for at the teacher's college here in Daegu. They're offered for free and I think that we're volunteering to be guinea pigs for aspiring KSL (Korean second language) teachers. I signed up for basic II but it might be too easy. I never thought I'd say that about a Korean class, but we'll see what happens next class. For now I'll stick it out. By far the worst part about the class was that it contained 90% EPIK teachers, one of which was particularly obnoxious towards everything, especially our 선생님. I simply couldn't believe what was coming out his mouth. I had heard many stories about foreign English teachers becoming complacent in Korea, and treating Korean culture and customs with disrespect but this was by far the most blatant example of it that I've personally witnessed so far.
Afterward, I met up with one of Jukjun's gym teachers and one of his friends, who is a high school English teacher here in Daegu. Both he and his wife spoke English pretty well so we sat and talked for quite a while. I thoroughly enjoyed this, as I have every experience with my Korean counterparts. The meal we shared was how I began my Yom Kippur fast, which is the most religious act that exists in my life. Most of you know I'm not a religious person, but I am one for tradition and this is something that I've done every year with my Dad. I've continued to do so whether at Colgate or in South Korea. It took a while to explain my reasons for not eating to my host family, but I think they understand and my host Dad even decided that he would take part too, to wish his family into the book of life like I do for mine.