July 13th was scheduled to be my last day at Jukjun Middle School. On July 12th, I went out with some of the teachers at my school. We had dinner, then went to a coffee shop for a while and wrapped things up at a bar. It was a sentimental, emotional experience and I struggled with bittersweet feelings. On one hand I want to stay in Korea. I would have liked to learn more Korean and experience Korea a little more. On the other hand, I felt it was time to go back to America and take the next step in my life.
When I got home on July 12th, my host family and I exchanged presents and cards. My host family bought me a hanbok, as well as several gifts for my family back in America. In the end, after only a year, I really felt like I was part of their family. My homestay experience in Korea was hands down the best part about Korea for me. Between the casual moments after dinner, the trips and all the laughs, I'll certainly always consider them a part of my life.
I had already given my bike back to my school so on July 13th my host Mom drove me to school. About halfway into the 20 minute trip, I started to tear up. My host Mom looked at me and said "What's wrong baby?" Even though I knew exactly why I was crying, I could only cough up the words "I don't know." When I got to school, I donned my hanbok and the school took yearbook photos of me. I taught just like I normally do and my host Mom came to pick me up and take me to the bus station. I was headed to Jungwon University to teach at Camp Fulbright, a 2 week intensive summer camp that Fulbright holds every year to allow for new ETAs the opportunity to get in a classroom a few times before they go to their placements. I would teach them during the day and participate in all kinds of activities ranging from club classes to full group activities. The new ETAs would have classes with the students in the afternoon and I would peer evaluate them.
Camp Fulbright was an amazing experience. I was able to to teach a class of 8 highly motivated, intelligent, active students who genuinely wanted to learn English. I could do lessons that I wasn't able to do at my placement school because of the small class size and how active all my CF students were. While it was also a tiring experience due to working 16, sometimes 20 hour days, I never regretted signing up for even a moment. It was a perfect capstone to my grant year in Korea. Yesterday we departed Jungwon University and Dave, Tim, Kate, Kate's sister and I went out in Seoul for one last time. Dave and I spent most of the day eating kimbap, street food and walking around Seoul. Now I'm getting ready to head to Incheon and fly back to America. I'm stopping in LA with Tim for 5 days and I'm flying into JFK on August 7th.
The last 13 months are impossible to summarize in a mere blog post. That's why I created this blog. Sometimes I neglected it but generally it reflects the good, the bad and everything in between about my experience living in Korea as a native English teacher. I went through periods of self discovery, learning about my Korean heritage and also clarifying my own dreams and desires. I learned about living as an expat in a foreign country and about the role of teachers in society. I have plenty of memories and made life long friends. It has been real Korea, but you'll always be the mistress I couldn't marry. I'll come back to you if the time is right.
-Mr. G